#24in48 Wrap-Up & What's Next

Monday, April 7, 2014

Ah, Monday, we meet again.  This weekend I participated in the 24in48 readathon hosted by Rachel @ Home Between Pages. She posted a set of follow-up questions so I'm gonna fill them out here.

  1. How many hours did you read, if you were tracking?I capped out last night at 22 hours and 5 minutes.  SO CLOSE!
  2. How many books did you read, if you were tracking?
    I read The last 2/3 of The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson, all of Blood Rites by Jim Butcher, all of Snowed In by Rachel Hawthorne, and the beginning 2/3 of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs.
  3. How many pages did you read, if you were tracking?
    Some rough addition: about 1,200
  4. Favorite book of the ‘thon?I think it's going to be Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.  Of course that is hinged on the ending, and if I don't like the ending then it'll be Blood Rites.
  5. Least favorite?
    The Amityville Horror. 
    I'll be reviewing this, but basically because it's (allegedly) a true story, it read more like a newspaper article or like a textbook sequence of events.  Rather than a proper novel.
  6. Thing you learned from this ‘thon?
    • Don't forget that sometime in the 48 hours you should be sleeping.  
    • And that, if you work a traditional job, you gotta get up for work on Monday morning. 
    • And remember that wine makes you sleepy; usually I stay up late on Fridays, but I...drank too much wine and fell asleep at like 10:30.  So I didn't start until 9 Saturday morning
    • Switch books!  I have a weird mindset about books and I actually think the goodreads challenge exacerbates it because I keep thinking in terms of finishing books and not in the fact that I read for 22 hours (which is pretty amazing)!  When I felt meh about a book, I would be hesitant to switch books because then I would finish less books but read the same amount of time. So there were a few times near hours 18-20 where I felt like I was doing homework which was so annoying (I was mostly annoyed at myself).  
    • Make a tasty meal on Friday and eat the leftovers all weekend.  Because cooking takes away from precious reading time, but eating crappy food is depressing.

What's Next

Finishing up Miss Peregrine, likely tonight, and then I am going to attempt to get over my mental roadblock that screams "Back away!  You'll never finish!" when I look at A Clash of Kings and cower into a corner. This is my book for Once Upon a Time VIII (which I haven't started and ends on June21 which is growing closer and closer!). If that's unsuccessful tonight, I will probably spend 2 hours choosing my next book and then fall asleep before I can start.

I'll be reviewing The Amityville Horror, and I think Miss Peregrine and hope to have them posted by the end of the week(end).

How was your weekend?  Did you do #24in48?

No comments :

Post a Comment