It's Finally Friday and I Finished That Awful Book

Friday, March 21, 2014

All right, all right.  I missed my window for posting on last Friday so now it's a week later and I've been through 3 legit books plus 5 free crappy books that I got during my Kindle Book Buying Binge. Weekly posting is GONNA happen - just you wait.

I finished Against the Wall by Julie Prestater.  It was the worst.  It only got 1 star because, while the story was super cute (how could it NOT be - the ingredients were all there), the writing was just...outrageously sub-par.  There had to have been a breakdown in communication during the editing process because the typos were so abundant.  Also, some the phrasing was difficult to over look (see: "girl parts" and "man parts" - who talks like that?  Really?).  The protagonist, Shel, got her HEA I mean obviously, how could she not.  Actually, everyone in that story wins - even the loser ex-fiance. But it was just terrible. 1 star.

Moving on to last weekend - I finished (finally) The Selection by Kiera Cass (The Selection #1) on audio book.  I had been putting it off because I knew that nothing would get resolved in this weird love triangle until the last book in the trilogy - which isn't even out yet.  (In case you're not familiar, it's basically The Bachelor only with a king in a dystopian future - kind of.) Well, I got what I wished for I guess because I'm still super annoyed at almost every single character, and I know it doesn't get better in the second book, The Elite. The third book, The One, will be released on May 6th of this year. Let me tell you it better be effing worth it. 3 stars.

Next, I read Epic Fail by Claire LaZebnik - a quick YA book about (my weakness) a famous guy - Derek Edwards - falling in love with a non-famous girl.  Well, he's the son of two famous actors and he attends the same boarding school as the protagonist, Elise (whose mother and father are the principal and math teach at the school, respectively) and her 2 sisters. And, now that I'm thinking about it, all of the antagonists were very interesting characters.  And I like that there was more than one causing all the drama.  They each had their time to shine to muck things up for both Elise AND her sister Juliana (who was spending her time being adored by Derek's best friend). All in all a cute story - no complaints, but it wasn't stellar - which was pretty much what I expected. 3 stars.

Next up: a few (free) romancey novellas of the man-on-man variety. Stay tuned...

No comments :

Post a Comment